[time-nuts] Using CPLD/FPGA or similar for frequency divider

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jun 6 20:59:51 EDT 2015

Hi

Last time I saw university multi project wafer prices, the cost was around $5K for a
run on a “not state of the art” fab process. That included absolutely nothing
in the way of design assistance. It was strictly “we fab what you told us to do”. The
“run date” for the chips was also a bit vague. They used space on other design runs, so
you got about a 3 month window on when your parts might run. Eventually you got back
a waffle pack with some die to go wire bond up.

Often the trick was to take the work of several students and put in on a single chip. The
*hope* was that nothing pathogenic happened in any of the designs to render the
whole thing useless.

The gotcha on ASIC’s os (of course) the running cost of this stuff. If you are using a bunch
of parts is’t not to bad. If not, the phone call every 4 years or so about “you need to
buy a new mask set for $XXX,XXX” gets a bit old. For a state of the art process add
at least one more X to that number.

Coming back to timing. Once you go to an ASIC, the ability to optimize for low
jitter / good ADEV (or whatever) comes into the picture. There is no reason why
there should be any worse performance on the ASIC than on any logic family
you can find. All of the previous caveats about phase noise floors go away.  That’s
not to say that things like crosstalk between two pads that are 0.05 mm apart suddenly
vanishes. You still have to take care of the i/o part of the design.

Bob