[time-nuts] Performance of 74LVC series ICs

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jun 9 07:05:07 EDT 2015

Hi

The isolation in the package is likely better than the (practical) layout you will
do to mate up with them. In fact, the single gate stuff probably does a better job
of isolation than the multi gate stuff, simply because you can spread it out on
the board.

In the case of dividing by two, there are single gate flip-flops that are Q bar output
rather than Q. That eliminates the second single gate package in this design. Yes, there
are far to many different numbering systems. Finding this or that can be a massive
pain.

======

If power is an issue, the real trick is to find a family that is happy running on a low(er)
supply voltage. Some of this stuff will toggle at 20 MHz with very low supply. Often
the inputs are “high voltage tolerant” even with those low supplies.

Bob