[time-nuts] z3801a - serial help and for sale.

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jun 10 17:27:36 EDT 2015

Hi

Normal drill for this sort of thing:

1) First connect the serial dongle back to back (output to input) and make sure
it gives you back what you type in. If not, find another dongle.

2) Check the output levels from the Z3801 with a scope. It should be swinging at least
+/- 5V and more like +/-12. The key thing here is that the swing is the same in both directions.

Then, in combination, try each of the following:

3) Try the usual suspects in terms of parity: 8N1, 7E1, 7O1

4) Try the usual speeds: 4800, 9600, 19200

A quick power cycle between each of the 9 possibilities should get it feeding
out something that you can recognize. Yes this is a generic approach, but sometimes
the generic one is quicker than doing a bunch of research, looking for notes on how you
switched the thing around back months ago ….

Bob