[time-nuts] My HP 5370B reads 6 nS out!

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jun 16 07:01:52 EDT 2015

Hi
> On Jun 15, 2015, at 9:51 PM, Peter Reilley <peter at reilley.com> wrote:
>
> Frank;
>
> Thanks for your long and detailed explanation.
>
> I was able to get the internal OCXO to that precision but it was probably
> luck
> to get the trimmer that close.   I worked at it for a while.
>
> I am using T.I. mode with the averaging mode.   I assumed that it took 10K
> readings
> and averaged the results.   Is that not correct?   Is something mode
> complicated
> going on?
>
> I will have to set up the GPIB and give that a try.   I did get TimeLab.
> This will be new territory to me.
>
> I did try measuring it's own 10 MHz frequency with 1 sec gate time.   It
> bounces
> around by about +- 4 in the 10th decimal place.
>
> Is my calibration with the rubidium oscillator valid?   Could it be
> that far off?

An “old style” analog tune Rb could tune a max of 1x10^-8. It’s rare
to see them more than 3x10^-9 off. Most are running under 5x10^-10 when
received from the salvage yard.

The “new style” digital tuned Rb’s have a range limited by their VCXO (if
it’s limited at all). They *should* be < 3x10^-9 as received from salvage.
They could be much further off.

Since all of these are tunable devices. The only way to be sure of their
accuracy is to calibrate them against something good.

Bob