[time-nuts] Testing the Datum LPRO Rb oscillator

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jun 17 18:24:02 EDT 2015

Hi

Some quick hints:

1) The “lifespan” number is very approximate. There is a slow drop off in the bulb. It may or
may not get you on a modern Rb.

2) Heat is the real killer on these gizmos. Run one without a heatsink and it will last a few years.
Run it with cooling that keeps it’s internals below 45C and it will last much longer.

3) The lamp monitor output is one way to see what’s going on. They started out with a design
that gave about 6V when new. Later units have a circuit that starts out around 9V. In both cases
the trick is to check it when new and watch for it to drop.

4) There are ways to “revive” certain forms of dead bulbs. A lot depends on exactly why your
bulb died (if it’s the problem).

5) Things like RF transistors and tantalum bypass capacitors die in these units just like they
do in anything else. They can be replaced and things will work.

7) VCXO drift is one way Rb’s die. It’s more of an issue on the FEI’s that the LPRO’s. In that
case tweaking the VCXO trimmer cap to re-center things fixes a unit that simply stays
in search mode.

There are lots more tricks. ….

Bob