[time-nuts] Two V(in)s walk into a bar...

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jun 25 10:01:02 EDT 2015

Hi

The real answer is a bit complicated. (As in at least a week of class, I sitting in a refresher course now),

Ground = no current in normal use
Return = where the IC ground pin connects

A lot of confusion goes on between return and ground. In about 99.99% of schematics return is miss-labeled as ground.

In your case, you need to be careful about layout. Keeping circuits apart will take care of most of the problems. Unless you do some very odd things a single solid return plane in your board is the best way to go. On every board you see, that plane will be labeled "ground plane".

Bob

Sent from my iPhone