[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt NMEA ?

Tim timt at skybase.net
Mon Mar 2 18:06:21 EST 2015

On 3/03/2015 4:33 AM, Didier Juges wrote:
> Tim,
>
> NMEA is normally used for navigation. It would seem unlikely that anyone would want to use a Thunderbolt for navigation. Can you elaborate on what you are trying yo do?

Hi Didier,

I' building a multi frequency beacon based on QRP-labs U3 beacon kit. It
has the ability to discipline its oscillator with a PPS input and, using
NMEA input, set and maintain time and location for exact control of WSPR
and OPERA modes of operation.

As it currently only accepts NMEA input I was wondering there was a way
to get NMEA out of a thunderbolt. I've lodged an RFE with the developer
to add TSIP support to the U3, but I don't think that's going to happen
anytime soon.

I'd rather use the Thunderbolt as the time and PPS source since its way
more accurate than the LEA-M8FGPS module that optionally comes with the kit.

I'd like to use the U3 as the basis of beacons all the way to 10GHz and
the Thunderbolt is a superior device for locking such things and
supplying the base 10Mhz to lock the appropriate LO's.

thanks

Tim

--
VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSATVK