[time-nuts] 50 ohm Driver

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Mar 4 18:47:13 EST 2015

Hi

If you want to drive out of a 50 ohm source into your 50 ohm load *and*
get 5V into the load … that’s a fancy amp. 10V power and some careful
work to get it going.

If you just want to get roughly 5V into a 50 ohm load, then it’s a matter of how
many gates you decide to parallel. If you go with “32 ma” drivers, you should
be able to get it done with 8 of them in parallel. Drive them all off of a single
dedicated fast gate that’s on the same supply. Probably best to stuff
a 20 or 30 ohm resistor in series with each of the outputs. If it’s *got* to
be a full 5V, don’t use the resistors.

Bob