[time-nuts] How does NTP's local clock estimation work in detail?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Mar 8 18:38:40 EDT 2015

Attila,

Do get the Dave Mills book.

You can strip away a number of methods under certain assumptions to make
the system simpler to understand, and then add them back in.

The NTP packet exchange get's you a two-way hand-shake with time-stamps,
which provides you with a offset (time error against the remote node).
This is first processed for a FLL style lock-in which then swaps over to
a PLL mode. Then it is a pretty simple PLL, with the capability of reset
the time offset which is rarely used.

Things like the cluster algorithm weighs many sources etc.

Cheers,
Magnus