[time-nuts] Z3810AS PPS to a Raspberry Pi

Dan Watson watsondaniel3 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 12:07:14 EDT 2015

The delay between the PPS and the rising edge of the 555 output is 150 ns.
This is with the 555 running on 3.3V. I could likely get a faster rise time
if I ran the 555 on 5V, though I would then have to level shift the output
back to 3.3 for the GPIO pin. Not a big deal, as long as there is a
benefit. I have one bare board left so I will cut a couple traces and make
up a 5V version.

I was concerned about jitter and noise, and it seems that is a valid
concern. I'm not familiar with proper methods for measuring jitter in the
ns range. I can say that NTP stats shows a jitter of 4 us after some
settling, where as I would normally have 2 us jitter with other GPS modules
I have tried. So roughly 100% worse than a GPS module sitting on the RPi
with no added circuitry. That gives me a starting point to work from though.

Measuring the output on my 53131A it reads a period of 1 second out to 10
zeros, with +/- 1 count of jitter on the last digit.

I have attached the schematic. The input for the PPS made sense when using
pins 1 and 7 on the connector, but with pins 1 and 6 I am not as clear on
how to properly interface the differential signal. Besides the fact that
what I have now does properly trigger the 555. So thanks for any
suggestions on improving that part and reducing jitter/noise.

Pete: If I eventually get to a circuit I'm happy with, I'll share the
project on OshPark. And a PTH version would be easy to make up as well.
That way you can order some if you like, or just see the layout and make
your own. A board this size is only about $5 for 3 using that service.

Regards,

Dan Watson