[time-nuts] EMI and CE certification (was: lawnmower robots may be the end of VLF timekeeping)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat May 9 19:11:01 EDT 2015

On Sat, 09 May 2015 12:15:47 +0000
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> I spent some time capturing some data today.
>
> The measurements is from my $20 loop-antenna in the attic, which is
> something like 8 meters up and 10 meters besides the lawn-mower loop:
>
> 	http://phk.freebsd.dk/time/20150509.html

Uh.. nice...and welcome to the world of self-certification.

I'm pretty sure these devices are not properly EMI tested or rather,
they were, but the manufacturer cheated (as everyone does with this
kind of stuff). You can, and IMHO should report these kind of EMI to
the proper authorities. Devices like this should not be sold and in
nost european countires are actually illegal (there is a law against
"knowingly" transmit in a band you are not licensed for). I don't know
other countries, but at least in Switzerland, the BAKOM is usually quite
happy to hear about these things, and test devices in their own lab... with
nice fines for the offending company for not properly testing their products.

			Attila Kinali

--
< _av500_> phd is easy
< _av500_> getting dsl is hard