[time-nuts] Time in a cave

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed May 13 23:02:14 EDT 2015

Paul writes:
> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 7:00 PM, Tucek, Joseph <joseph.tucek at hp.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for information on non-GPS time sources.
> >
> > For background, I need to provide PTP
>

> I believe this was "recently" discussed on ntp:questions.  People often
> forget dial-up (ACTS) which is supported by the PTP capable Microsemi
> SyncServer 3NN models which also have OCXO/TCXO/Rb hold-over options.

One problem is that while ACTS used to be a very good way to keep time,
now that modems no longer have constant processing time and phone lines
are no longer end-to-end copper and the signal likely goes thru a number
of "domain" changes (Audio/Digital, Frame Relay, ATM, ...), I'm told
that ACTS is nowhere near as good as it used to be.