[time-nuts] Lucent REF0-REF1 GPSDO status?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat May 23 22:05:48 EDT 2015

Hi

> On May 23, 2015, at 12:19 PM, Jan Fredriksson <jan at 41hz.com> wrote:
>
> Hi list,
>
> I've been lurking around for several years off and on, followed some
> of the much discussed LUCENT/SYMMETRICOM Z3810AS, KS24361 L101/L102,
> HP-KIO OEM GPSDO. As you know they have been on fleabay for more than
> half a year are now, currently down to USD125 plus S&H. Not bad for
> new out of the box units, even if they are two decades old. It gives
> some want-one-itch....
>
> I followed the first hundred or so posts here on the list on these
> units but got lost on the overall status. So I have some questions,
> apologize in advance if these questions have already been covered:
>
> 1 Is there a simple fix to get REF1 work standalone?

Yes, it’s a couple of jumpers on the 15 pin connector. You can get more exotic.

> 2 There where 50nS or so trim glitches/jumps reported initially, did
> they disappear after some operating time?

All of these gizmos have their “burn in” phase. Mine have been fine jump wise since day one. Jumps
like this have been reported on all of the “been off power for years” GPSDO’s.

> 3 Did someone find a reasonably straight-forward way to get 10MHz out of REF1?

Depends on your definition of straight forward. The “easy” fix is to do a couple of jumpers and get 5 MHz out of it.

Bob