[time-nuts] Terrestrial Tides and Land Movement

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Tue May 26 08:39:44 EDT 2015

Hi Bob S,

An HOA can be a daunting problem, but not one that cannot be
solved with a little guile.

Every house I have ever seen that has modern plumbing has a few
vent stacks on the roof.  Would the HOA even notice if yours
sprouted another one dark weekend evening?

All the kit you need to add one to your roof is available at
your local big box store.

The usual bullet style antenna, sitting on top of a PVC vent
pipe would be invisible on most houses, particularly if it were
to be placed in the same vicinity as the rest.

Also, GPS bullet antennas are pretty well sealed, save for the
connector on the bottom.  If you do a good job of sealing the
connector (eg. lots of wraps of electrical tape, followed by
a few of friction tape) there in no intrinsic reason you couldn't
safely mount yours on top of the main plumbing vent stack.  Drill
a hole in the side at some convenient spot inside of the house,
and snake the coax up through the vent stack, mount the antenna
over the top, leaving adequate vent space.  (OBTW, it isn't a
vent stack until it is above the highest fixture in the house.)

Although I don't have an HOA on my farm, I have my antenna mounted
that way on my radon mitigation pipe.  I bent up a couple of
pieces of aluminum to make an open plug and put the antenna up
without ever setting foot on my roof.  I simply snaked the cable
up and out the top of the radon pipe, and when I could reach it
from a window, installed the GPS antenna, and aluminum "plug",
and then pulled the antenna cable back through the pipe, causing
the plug and antenna to pop into the pipe mounting the antenna.

-Chuck Harris