[time-nuts] solved: KS-24361 "NO GPS" - again

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat May 30 08:50:11 EDT 2015

Hi

The computer programs are all looking at the serial output of the GPS module in
the box. When it says 3 sat’s that is all it can see. There are three basic reasons why
this can be:

1) It still does not have an almanac / ephemeris from the GPS system and is
downloading it. Without that data these modules can’t grab a full set of sats. They
do not have the processing horsepower of more modern modules.

2) It *has* the data, but it’s got the wrong one. It’s confused and may or may
not straighten it’s self out.  We’ve gone back and forth on this one. There is
info in the archives.

3) You simply can not see enough sat’s from you antenna location. Even with less
than perfect antenna locations I can get > 8 sats (on an 8 channel receiver) at all
times.

The worst case is a combination of all of the above. If you have only one or two
sats in view at some times, it will take a *long* time to get the almanac and to figure
out an error. It also will take a very long time to complete a survey.

One and two are somewhat Motorola specific. The third one applies to just about
any module trying to do this stuff. The first two are just startup issues. The third is
with you forever. When you start dropping below 4 sats the timing (and thus stability
of the box) degrades. With multi path involved there is no simple way to know just
how bad things will get in a 1 or 2 sat situation.

Bob