[time-nuts] Performance of 74LVC series ICs

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun May 31 18:23:45 EDT 2015

On Sun, 31 May 2015 14:06:26 -0400
Dan Watson <watsondaniel3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone used or experimented with the 74LVC series of ICs? I have found
> them quite useful in projects. Supply voltage of 2-5V, and two inverters or
> a single gate or flip flip in a SOT package. They make for much cleaner
> layouts than large DIPs.

Yes, quite a few of those. After CPLDs and FPGAs replaced all of the
more complex 74xxx's, people realized that most projects do not need
4 NAND gates at one spot, but rather single ones here and there
(a schmitt-trigger for signal conditioning, an AND gate to couple two
enable lines,...).

> I'm wondering if they are acceptable replacements for 74HC, AC, etc in
> timing circuits.

I have never used any of the LVC in a timing circuit, but i would
guess they are not worse than the AC. Also they have the advantage of
having single gates per package, which helps minimizing cross coupling
between different signal paths.

BTW: [1] may contain some interesting data for you. Especially as it
compares different manufacturers too.

Looking at [2], the ALVC family would probably be also worth a look.

				Attila Kinali

[1] "Low Voltage Logic Designers Guide", Ti, 1996
http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/scba010/scba010.pdf

[2] "Logic Guide", Ti, 2014
http://www.ti.com/lit/sg/sdyu001aa/sdyu001aa.pdf

--