[time-nuts] Thunderbolt "osc age alarm", where to get replacement oscillator?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Nov 13 21:34:06 EST 2015

Hi

I think you will find that tearing open a TBolt OCXO does not reveal a mechanical trimmer
anywhere to be seen. That’s true at least if it was made past about 1997 …

It’s unusual to see them actually age out. Most that I have seen still have > 90% of their trim
range left. A much more common situation is a shorted or open EFC line. Sometimes the
issue is outside the OCXO on the TBolt pc board. Other times it’s inside the OCXO. The quick
check is to watch it on a counter and try to swing the DAC. If the frequency does not change….
you have an open or a short.

Bob