[time-nuts] Modern College Education for Electronics - Cubesats - Real world training

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Nov 16 16:23:24 EST 2015

I've had a chance to see Jeff in action at Morehead, and what he and the
team there are doing is really incredible -- and inspirational.  He's
built a hands-on electronic and mechanical shop, mainly out of surplus
stuff, that gives the students tremendous practical experience, while
they are putting stuff on their resumes that will make them very employable.

And Jeff's surplus stuff is incredible -- among other things, he has a
40 foot (I think) anechoic chamber for antenna testing.  And that 21M
dish is fun to play with.  I keep bugging him to hook it to a decent
frequency reference...

Jeff has hosted several ham radio technical events, and each time a
bunch of his students were involved.  They seemed to enjoy it a lot,
except for having to hang around with all the old white guys. :-/

John
----