[time-nuts] Einstein Special on PBS

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 00:05:37 EST 2015

In the special it looks like they used two HP5071A standards, an
SRS620 counter, and a scope. They first made sure the stds were
in sync then took one to the building at the top of the ski lift
on New Hampshire's Mount Sunapee at 2726' elevation for 4 days
where it would be running a little faster because it would be
slightly further from the center of the spinning earth. After
bringing the 5071A back from the top of the mountain they checked
the difference in the start of square waves displayed on the scope
and detected the 5071A at altitude was now 20ns ahead of the
5071A kept at sea level, as predicted, if I understood everything
correctly. They explained that the clocks in the GPS satellites
traveling at a much higher speed had to correct for the speed
difference which also verified Einstein's theory.

My wife and I were on the top of Mt. Sunapee this summer where we
enjoyed the views but didn't run any experiments. ;-)

-Arthur