[time-nuts] Einstein Special on PBS

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Nov 28 17:23:25 EST 2015

Hi

Since you have massive doppler on the signals, it’s not practical to get frequency directly from the SV’s. All of our
“frequency” information comes from time data extracted one way or the other from the signal. Either we do it directly
from the broadcast data or indirectly from stuff like carrier phase comparisons.

The quality of the time (and thus frequency) from GPS has gotten steadily better over the years. It is quite possible that
they have added this or that to the steering process as things evolved. It clock tuning one of those things? Who knows…
I suspect it is, but I have no real data to back up that guess.

Bob