[time-nuts] Redundant GPSDO configuration / hardware

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Oct 9 18:11:04 EDT 2015

Hi

There are an enormous number of branches and twists in coming up with a “zero failure”
system.

One of many:

If the system uses GPS (or any GNSS) *and* Joe pulls up with a GPS jammer in his truck, all GPS
systems go off the air. If Joe parks in the parking lot for a few weeks, the systems
are all down for that period of time…..

Unfortunately this sort of thing *does* happen. It may actually be more likely than some of the
other sorts of failures you have on your list. If your system is something that is likely to be
deliberately attacked (military drone), then it’s actually a pretty likely thing.

Bob