[time-nuts] How did they distribute time in the old days?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Oct 14 01:12:52 EDT 2015

holrum at hotmail.com said:
> Somewhat time-nut related...  the project main application needed
> millisecond consistent (not necessarily accurate) time stamps on a
> world-wide network.  That was in the pre-gps, pre-fiber, pre-historic
> before-times.  I don't think that they ever quite got there.

World wide seismology took off in the early 1970s as background for nuclear
underground non-testing treaties.  Both the US and the USSR had to be sure
they could detect the opponents tests and distinguish tests from earthquakes.
 We had seismic stations scattered around the globe.

Does anybody know how they distributed time back then and/or how accurately
they could do it?

Google says the speed of sound in rock is 6-8 km/s so 10 ms error would be
100 meters.  That seems like a reasonable ballpark.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.