[time-nuts] How did they distribute time in the old days?

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 14 05:03:40 EDT 2015

Well I dont know if it was used for that but the16kHz VLF station at Rugby
call-sign GBR was rebuilt in 1967 and the output tank circuit stiffened to
provide better phase stability specifically foe international time standard
comparison. The transmitter was used for initial comparisons between NPL and
NBS (later NIST) time standards. It was also the starting point for the
Omega nav system. Prior to that accurate time data was passed over twisted
pairs in UK and probably Europe.

Alan
G3NYK