[time-nuts] Magellan GPS OEM 10 Channel -- Looking for pinout or any documentation

Gregory Beat w9gb at icloud.com
Wed Oct 14 15:11:43 EDT 2015

What is the I/O Pin Configuration (number/layout) on this GPS receiver?
The earlier Magellan OEM boards used an 8-pin interface (as seen in G8 manual).
Does your Magellan GPS board have these markings (silk-screened on board)??
  MAGELLAN Systems Corporation
  GPS OEM 10 channel
  P/N 00-81014-000
  Date code: 1994
Magellan did produce a 10-channel receiver, ProMark X, used in some of their consumer and OEM aviation/marine products in mid-1990s.
Ashtech G8 GPS OEM Board Reference Manual (circa 1998)
ftp://space.augsburg.edu/processed/MACCS/BU/boston_documentation/manuals/g8.pdf
GG12 OEM Board Reference Manual (circa 2000)
http://ashgps.com/mirror/20130710/OEM,%20Sensor%20&%20ADU/gg12/Reference%20Material/630831%20GG12%20Rev%20A.pdf
A12, B12, & AC12 Reference Manual (circa 2005-2007)
ftp://ftp.ashtech.com/OEM_Sensor_ADU/Legacy%20products/A12,%20%20B12,%20%26%20AC12/Reference%20Material/A12,%20B12%20%26%20AC12%20RM%20rev%20E.pdf
w9gb
====
> I have few old Magellan OEM 10 Channel GPS receiver. I want use them
> as a source of PPS on some passive radar. I'm looking for pinout or any
> manual. If anyone has any information I would be grateful.
> Best Regards
> Mariusz Pozoga.
====
History (Smithsonian now has records)
http://amhistory.si.edu/archives/AC1214.html
Ed Tuck of the Boundary Fund, a venture capital firm specializing in technologies founded the Magellan Systems Corporation in 1986 and served as its director from 1986 to 1993. Tuck assembled the initial team of Norm Hunt, Larry Weill, Val Wong, and Sab Ifune to conduct a feasibility study in early 1986 to pursue commercial markets for products based on global positioning system (GPS) technology.
Magellan introduced the first handheld commercial GPS receiver in 1989 and was the first company to make GPS devices affordable to consumers. Magellan introduced the first handheld commercial GPS receiver in 1989 and was the first company to make GPS devices affordable to consumers. The company successfully introduced GPS products into the marine, professional, military and automotive and general aviation markets.
Magellan was purchased by Orbital Sciences Corporation in 1994.
In 2001, Thales Group purchased the Magellan division of Orbital Sciences, and the company became known as Thales Navigation.
In 2006, a private equity firm, Shah Capital Partners, and other investors purchased Thales Navigation, and the company was officially renamed Magellan Navigation. Magellan (also known as MiTAC Digital Corporation) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of MiTAC International Corporation and promotes and sells products and services under the Magellan brand name.
Magellan is headquartered in Santa Clara, California.
http://www.magellangps.com
====

Sent from iPad Air