[time-nuts] How did they distribute time in the old days?

Luke Mester lmester60 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 14:17:48 EDT 2015

The SWCC clock time synch coils were wired in series. Voltage varied with
the number of clocks in the circuit. It takes about 300ma to drive the
coil. Do a Google search for "swcc synchronizing coil voltage" to see a
thread where I talk about this on the NAWCC clock message board. Also the
clocks have a mechanical lock out mechanism that will prevent synch if the
minute hand is more than a few minutes on either side of the hour. Send a
pulse too early or late & you'll hear the click but the time won't be
reset. And yes, it is amazing how many years ago people came up with time
sync systems. Some of the early systems used pneumatics to distribute the
time sync!

Luke Mester
http://mesterhome.com/