[time-nuts] When NTP goes wrong...

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Oct 25 17:37:27 EDT 2015

Hi

Well here’s one of their points in “Attacking The Network Time Protocol":

They start off in the paper proposing the a KoD packet can be easily
used to disconnect NTP from it’s upstream time sources. Thus forging
KoD’s would appear to be the first step in their proposed attack.

Can you forge them - sure.

It would *seem* that things like polling rates are going to get into
the mix pretty fast. If I have an artificially high poling rate set up, it’s going
to be easier than if the rate has backed off to some slow rate. It also
will be easier to fake if I’m not doing some sort of burst (multi query)
check on the server(s).

So a question - how does all this impact your ability to do a faking prices?
Will you be flooding me with so many fake replies that a fairly simple patch
will spot what you are doing?

No, this isn’t the whole key to the whole thing. It’s just one of a big bundle of
things that need to be gone through.

Bob