[time-nuts] Unified VCXO Carrier Board

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Oct 28 03:10:16 EDT 2015

Charles
I have a bunch of LM329's purchased from a large distributor.I guess I should make some noise measurements.Some have even been installed in low noise regulators.
Another item to add to the to do list( repair mill, complete dual fibre  point diffraction interferometer, rebuild RF PN interferometer.... ).Probably a good excuse to build that low noise JFET input preamp with the somewhat unusual input coupling architecture.
Bruce

Bruce

     On Wednesday, 28 October 2015 6:00 PM, Charles Steinmetz <csteinmetz at yandex.com> wrote:

 Gerhard wrote:

>It's bad, but not that bad.  10 times the voltage is 20 dB more. So
>
>0dB  = 1nV/sqrt Hz
>20 dB = 10 nV
>40 dB = 100 nV
>60 dB = 1uV
>80 dB = 10 uV/sqrt Hz

So I got ~40dB and ~30dB right, but screwed up and turned 10uV into
1mV.  How'd I do that?

>The wideband noise at, say, 46 dB would be 200 nV/sqrt Hz  versus
>the claimed 75 nV typical
>but the corner frequency is really bad. I bought them last year from
>Digi-key, still with
>National as manufacturer on the bag, not TI.
>
>I'll test a few more next weekend.

Even Digi-Key is not immune from counterfeits.  I received some
counterfeit voltage references last year, but before I used any I got
a message recalling them.

Thinking on it a bit more, your results look like what one might
expect if someone put up bandgap reference dice in fake LM329
packages.  On the other hand, they could be from a lot of real NS
parts that had serious fab issues or catastrophic storage issues.

In any case, if the others you have are like that one, throw them out
and get some new ones that meet spec (and just in case, buy from
another vendor, and perhaps another manufacturer).  You can buy them
direct from Linear Technology <http://www.linear.com/purchase/LM329>,
but only in the plastic TO-92 package (all the 329s I've used have
been in the hermetic package, but those appear to be history now).

Best regards,

Charles