[time-nuts] Z380XA The saga of the aging 10811

ed breya eb at telight.com
Tue Sep 8 10:55:17 EDT 2015

It could be that the inner oven temperature regulation is off a bit, or
even failed. There was a report at one of the popular time-nuts oriented
websites (I forget which one, but it's the one that had extensive
coverage of the Z3801A) about inner oven problems a few years ago. I
took mine apart and found that it had an IC of a particular date code
range that was prone to failure. I can't recall whether I replaced it
with the same type but different date, or an alternative, but it worked
just fine after that, with no tweaking of coarse EFC needed.

The IC was a dual opamp I think, that controlled the oven temperature
according to the thermistor signal, and drove the heater transistor(s).
It was a fairly high performance type, but not that unusual. I think it
was a Linear Technology brand part.

Ed