[time-nuts] Holdover recovery

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Apr 4 17:50:44 EDT 2016

Hi

On a surplus cell phone GPSDO it’s going to be:

1) System has been down for a while (= something failed)
2) System is now working ( = something was fixed)
3) The primary system spec must now be met (+/- 100 ns time alignment).
4) The secondary system spec should be met (+/- 5x10^-8 frequency)
5) Get it done now.

Both the time alignment and frequency specs are highly system dependent. The time
offset is likely to be aligned in a modulo 100 ns step. It then is fine tuned over some
time period to take out the rest of the error. If it’s done over a 50 second period, they
can do it at a 1x10^-9 frequency offset (but probably don’t …. more likely it’s a higher
offset at the start of the period).

Bob