[time-nuts] HP 5360A History?

Jeremy Nichols jn6wfo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 17:32:05 EDT 2016

The insider name for the 5360A was "computing pig" because of its size
(weight) and complexity. It combined most of the counting ability of a
5345 with much of the computing ability of the 9100 programmable
calculator. Jamming so much into a standard (for the era) -hp- cabinet
was quite a challenge. One of my 5360s uses Nixie tubes while the newer
one is plasma.

Since there is no way to store a program entered with the keyboard, you
have to leave the machine 'on' or re-key your program. Given the limited
32-step memory, this is not a terrible limitation. The 5376 Systems
Programmer could be expanded to 200 (!) steps but I've not had the
privilege of using one with my 5360.

If any one has a copy of Application Sheet No. 27, "Fractional Frequency
Deviation Measurements on Ultra-Stable Sources" or Application Note AN
120-2, "Measuring Phase with the 5360A," I'd like to buy copies.

Jeremy