[time-nuts] Building a mains frequency monitor

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Apr 14 06:24:50 EDT 2016

God middag Magnus,

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 03:38:38 +0200
Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:

> The professional equipment does it this way. It samples, filters and
> decimate the data. For the professional use the absolute phase is
> relevant, so group delay needs to be flat, known an
> calibrated/compensated.

Jupp, I am aware of those. But I didn't expect many people here
to know of them :-) I have quite a few friends who work in the
energy distribution busines and its related problems (like network
stability, oscillations of dynamic systems, complexity theory etc)
hence I have a cursory interest in the equipment to monitor power
networks as well. It is intersting to see, that modern power networks
rely more and more on precise timing as well. Even more interesting
is that the primary source for time is GPS these days, with all its
problems. I am not sure whether the desginers of these networks are
fully aware of the security and reliability implications that come
with GPS (or GNSS in general). Maybe i should dig a little bit around
and see what's current common practice in europe.

			Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.