[time-nuts] RG6 or LMR400 for GPS Antenna (Symmetricom 58532A and T-bolt)

Bruce Lane kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Thu Apr 21 00:46:43 EDT 2016

	My $0.02 worth.

	If the cable is going to be exposed to sunlight and weather, long-term,
be sure you get a cable type rated for UV exposure (polyethylene
jacketed). If you really want to get something rugged, and you don't
mind removing a bit of citrus-scented goo, go with 'DB' (Direct Burial)
suffixed cable (Example: LMR400DB).

	Whatever you do, DON'T use the cheap PVC-jacketed cable! Sunlight eats
that stuff for breakfast.

	Happy tweaking.

On 20-Apr-16 18:03, Ryan Stasel wrote:
> Bob/Paul,
>
> Thanks. And there's the rub... Who knows what the specs are on "generic" RG6 QS. I'll see what my seller wants for their LMR400, but otherwise yeah, RG6 is just easier. I have both compression and crimp connectors for it, including some RG6 N-connectors (yeah, they're probably for LMR300, but they work).
>
> Other question: any tips for the exterior N connection? I can "weatherproof" the actual cable-connector crimp, but I'm curious if anyone bothers to "lube" the N connector to keep moisture from otherwise seizing it up.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ryan Stasel
> IT Operations Manager, SOJC
> University of Oregon