[time-nuts] Lady Heather coming soon to a Linux box near you...

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Apr 21 02:29:30 EDT 2016

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 05:13:20 +0000
Mark Sims <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well,  Lady Heather finally got off her ample ass and dug into the
> tao of X11 and all things Linuxy.

Cool! What did you use as widget set? Or did you use xlib directly?

> One thing that will probably not be supported is sound file support...
> playing .WAV files asynchronously does not seem to come naturally to Linux.
> Does anybody know of a simple / lazy bastard way to play a sound file in the
> background from a C/C++ program...  I'd really like my GPS disciplined
> singing clock to work.

For simple playing, you don't need any library. Just write your wav
file directly into /dev/dsp. The usual way to use it is to have a
select() or poll() call in your main event loop and check whether
the file handle can accept more data. If you need it to be fully
asynchrounus, just fork a new process and do the loop there (adds maybe
10-20 lines or so). (dont worry about overhead here. as forking is much
cheaper on unix than on windows, forking to play a wav once in a while is
not going to hurt)

				Attila Kinali

--
Reading can seriously damage your ignorance.
		-- unknown