[time-nuts] Adapting my GPSDO to the FE-5680A

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Fri Apr 22 04:58:27 EDT 2016

Thanks. I’ve taken your suggestion for the sine-to-square converter.
I  believe there are two separate commands for tuning the 5680 - one is “
temporary”  and one writes through to the EEPROM. I’ll be using the latter,
of course.

---------------
I'm surprised nobody else seems to have  commented on this but I'm  pretty
sure that using the write to EEPROM option on an automatically  and
regularly repeated basis could be somewhat akin to applying the  kiss of death.

Obviously the threat will depend upon how frequently it's decided the
incremental change needs applying, presumably quite a bit less frequently for a
rubidium module than a crystal oscillator, but in the longer term could it
not approach the limits for the device?

I would have thought the "temporary" option is to be preferred, and
certainly this is what I've always used when manually adjusting FE5680As, until
such time as I'm sure the applied value is close enough to be stored
permanently.

Other than needing to start over in the case of power removal I can't  see
any obvious disadvantages to this, and if the software can be made to report
 the current increment on request then presumably that could be noted every
few  months or so and perhaps an updated value permanently programmed, or
even as  infrequently as once a year say shouldn't really be too much of an
issue.

Nigel
GM8PZR