[time-nuts] Advise on building a DIY GPSDO?

Lars Walenius lars.walenius at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 26 15:09:41 EDT 2016

Hello Charles and others

I have wondered what is meant by a proper digital filter below? Now I was reminded by the KS-24361 holdover graphs from Hal.

Is a proper digital filter something more than the LP-filter + PI-loop I use in the DIY Arduino GPSDO?
What is used in commercial GPSDO´s?

I am also quite sure that a home-built GPSDO will not "rival all comers," but you will learn a lot!

I also enclose an screen shoot from a two day run with my Arduino GPSDO in hold mode. This combination works well with about 1000-1500 secs of time constant and is an example that you need long time constants with good oscillators. It is also an example that you can learn a lot without expensive equipment. The TIC was linearized with a third order polynomial and data for linearization was gathered with the use of a PICDIV PD26 and processed in Excel. With the PD26 it is possible to have data with very accurate 200ns spacing together with the 1ns TIC.

BTW I saw that Nick Sayer now is using the ”Arduino” 1ns TIC in his open source GPSDO. His latest program also used a LP-filter+PI-loop what I could see.

Lars