[time-nuts] SE880 GPSDO

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Apr 26 18:29:12 EDT 2016

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:24:08 +0200
Ilia Platone <info at iliaplatone.com> wrote:

> I must print each photon event captured by an APD at the focus of more
> telescopes, these events must be timestamped with an accuracy of 2.5ns,

As i wrote before, 1ns should be doable with standard timing GPS receiver
and calibration at those short baselines. Going below that will be a
challenge though.

> and the expected rate is lower than 10MHz.

10MHz is quite a high rate of events that need to be timestamped.
How do you intend to measure events at such a high rate? And how
do you intend to store so much data? Each measurement will need
at least 40bit resolution, at 10MHz that's 50MByte/s. Even if you
say that the average rate is only a fraction of that and you use
lots of buffers, that's still a high data rate for a measurement
instrument.

			Attila Kinali
--
Reading can seriously damage your ignorance.
		-- unknown