[time-nuts] Kinemetrics/Truetime WWVB model 60-dc?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Apr 29 19:12:57 EDT 2016

Howdy,

We’re in the process of upgrading our telescopes in various ways, including deploying spiffy new GNSS clocks. While rummaging around the shelves of old equipment, I came across the WWVB time code generators that had been retired themselves a dozen years ago or more (in favor of NTP and/or GPS equipment). These are Kinemetrics/Truetime model 60-dc. They appears to power up ok to the point of displaying the colons and flickering keep-alive LEDs (see p.51 of http://www.to-way.com/tf/60dc.pdf). It would be cool to bring them back to life, if only to serve as retro wall clocks.

It turns out the old 60 KHz antenna (same manufacturer, model A-60FS) was still mounted on the building, but I wasn’t able to get either of the two devices to lock when connected to it. The antenna had been repaired at some point, so I have no confidence that it's still in working condition after many years out in the weather after the case had been opened.

Now I’ve come across this notice from Spectracom:

	http://spectracom.com/sites/default/files/document-files/Pending%20Changes%20in%20the%20WWVB%20Radio%20Signal%20Affects%20Precision%20Frequency%20and%20Timing%20Reference.pdf

which suggests that other vendors’ devices might also "no longer operate as intended as a result of the WWVB signal change” after July 2012.

If so, bummer!

If not, suggestions for acquiring a functioning antenna?

Many thanks for any information on these or similar devices. I should note that another telescope elsewhere on the mountain appears to still be using a Datum model 9100 (via Forth software!) nightly (though with WWV, not WWVB?)*  Does anybody have a manual for that unit?

Rob Seaman
University of Arizona
—
* there were even some IRIG wall clocks