[time-nuts] Effect of EFC noise on phase noise

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 18:40:44 EDT 2016

Are the EFC inputs all directly DC coupled to the varactor diodes
making them high DC impedance?

I always thought they should bring the varactor or EFC ground out as a
separate pin but I assume that since they do not, ground noise at
least within the oscillator does not limit performance.

In the past when I have had low frequency ground noise, I have either
used an instrumentation amplifier at the load or used a high impedance
current source with a load resistor to ground at the load.  But I have
difficulty imagining either being used to drive an EFC input because
close proximity of the driving circuit allows it to use the oscillator
ground as a single point ground.

I wonder if there is anything to be learned by studying how the old
varactor based (parametric) operational amplifiers were used.