[time-nuts] GPS antenna selection

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 03:41:16 EDT 2016

Dear fellow time-nuts!

I'm currently investigating my options regarding
GPS antennae (of course for time related purposes)
and I'm really confused by the variety they come
in ... (my apologies in advance for the long post).
[]
Many thanks in advance and my apologies again for
the rather lengthy post. Please feel free to point
me to previous discussion regarding this topic.

All the best,
Herbert

[1]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-Good-GPS-Antenna-SMA-Screw-Needle-10m-Super-Signal-Navigation-DVD-Antenna-/171802461614
    https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Active-Antenna-28dB-Gain/dp/B00LXRQY9A
=======================

Herbert,

Based on practical experiences here the antenna [1] on the balcony (outside)
would be more than adequate for a modern receiver.  Receivers from 10-15
years back are less sensitive and may require an antenna more like [2] (but
that has BNC connector).

I would try the cheaper antenna first, and it's no great loss if you have to
abandon it later.

I don't believe that you mentioned what receiver this was for.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk