[time-nuts] Oscillator Phase Noise: A 50-Year Review

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sat Aug 6 02:17:56 EDT 2016

Rick wrote:

> It has always irked me that no credit was given to Edson
> He is the proverbial "unsung hero"

Hardly unsung.  Harvard PhD Sigma Xi as a Gordon McKay Scholar,
distinguished career at Bell Labs, Illinois Institute of Technology,
Bell Labs Radio Research Laboratory, Georgia Institute of Technology,
Georgia Tech Research Institute, Stanford (working with Fred Terman, as
he had at RRL), Stanford Electronics Research Laboratory, GE, founded
Emtech, Stanford Research Institute, IEEE Life Fellow.

Edson was very well-known and well-respected in his day, but he didn't
publish much.

To this day, I still refer to "Vacuum-Tube Oscillators" regularly --
over 60 years since it was published!

Best regards,

Charles