[time-nuts] GPS antenna selection - lightning

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 15:30:50 EDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Glenn Little WB4UIV <
glennmaillist at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> The latest that I can find is 1987.
> If you understand the theory and practice, you do not have to update your
> work often.
> It is the works that are updated every few months that you have to worry
> about. The did not get it right the first time.

You got that right.   For something as simple as grounding a small antenna
mast if you follow Ben Franklin's advice you will have about the same thing
as what is recommended today.    Same for Newton and Einstein for 99% of
the stuff you do every day Newton got it right.

A lot of the exotic methods invented recently to protect electronics would
not apply to protecting a $50 receiver you bought on eBay or even a $1000
unit.  For example the first thing I would need to do is run a ring of 00
size wire around my house and fuse the various grounds to it.  But the cost
of having the trench dug (before even buying the wire) exceeds the cost of
the equipment it would protect.  TV sets are only $300 today.    So most of
us about $10 worth of protection (a coax ground block and #12 bare wire)
and buy insurance.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California