[time-nuts] Working with SMT parts.

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 21:22:46 EDT 2016

Hi Bill,

I used Futurlec once and I was very happy with the results, but now most of my projects involve quantities of 50 or more pieces so I have the production quantities PWB made and the product assembly done (parts procurement, soldering and test) in a very large far Eastern country, kinda like Apple but on a slightly smaller scale...

I have now worked with the same company for 7-8 years and I am quite satisfied with the results and the prices, for well over 3,000 pieces in total.

As long as there are no long lead parts, I get finished products in the DHL about 3-4 weeks ARO from emailing them the Gerber's.

Didier KO4BB

On August 12, 2016 9:22:42 AM CDT, wb6bnq <wb6bnq at cox.net> wrote:
>Hi Didier,
>
>I use ExpressPCB as well, but I send the ExpressPCB file to a company
>called Futurlec
>( http://www.futurlec.com/PCBService.shtml ).  They have reasonable
>prices.  Because it is overseas it takes about three weeks to get the
>product back.  So far I have been very impressed with the product I
>recieved.  I have even had notches done in the four corners to fit a
>plastic box that came out very well.
>
>Also, There is a person who started to write his own version  of layout
>
>program based off of the ExpressPCB program called  "Copper
>Connection."  (  http://www.robotroom.com/CopperConnection/index.html )
>
>It is a bit more involved than the ExpressPCB program and does have
>GERBER files as a selection.  However he charges for the program but it
>
>seems the prices are reasonable (
>http://www.robotroom.com/CopperConnection/Buy.html ).
>
>73....Bill....WB6BNQ
>

>Didier Juges wrote:
>
>>The way ExpressPCB works is that their free software produces boards
>in a proprietary format, and you have to pay to convert their design
>file to Gerber.
>>
>>Your mileage may vary but I found the combination of design tools
>learning curve, board quality and quick service to be worthwhile to me.
>>
>>I have tried Eagle twice and never could manage to build the models I
>needed. It may have been an issue of not finding the right tutorial but
>I have produced several ExpressPCB designs in less time than I have
>tried (unsuccessfully) to produce a single schematic in Eagle, let
>alone a PWB. Since it is a hobby that has become a business, time
>matters to me, design time and delivery.
>>
>>At that point, the cost of the Gerber becomes somewhat irrelevant.
>>
>>Note that you can make boards of any size in ExpressPCB.
>>
>>I am not advocating it is the best solution for everyone, I personally
>would like to be proficient with Eagle, but Express PCB works for me.
>>
>>Didier KO4BB
>>

>>On August 11, 2016 10:45:45 PM CDT, Chris Albertson
><albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>This seems totally backwards.  Typically a Gerber file is something
>>>you make yourself on your computer then send it in for a prototype.
>>>Seems odd to buy them.
>>>
>>>I checked ExpressPCB prices and they are very high.  I can get PCBs
>>>made quickly in the US for $3 per square inch, shipping included with
>>>$9 minimum order.  And  you don't buy the Gerbers.
>>>
>>>I notice ExpressPCB offers free software.  But it is totally
>>>non-standard and you can't use it for anything other then for their
>>>service.  Most people needing free PCB software use Eagle, some use
>>>Kicad or some others.  But Eagle seems to be kind of a universal
>>>standard.

>>>years

>>>from

>>>with

>>>--
>>>
>>>Chris Albertson
> [...]

Sent from my Moto-X wireless tracker while I do other things.