[time-nuts] Working with SMT parts.

Ian Stirling is at opus131.com
Sat Aug 13 05:33:16 EDT 2016

On 08/13/2016 12:39 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
> A fairly large part of the population gets along just
> fine with mono vision.  Many choose it specifically
> by getting contact lenses where one lens is near, and
> one is far, or getting laser eye surgery to affect that
> condition.
>
> That said, I do very well with stereo vision, but can
> work satisfactorily well with a mono vision camera.
>
> The brain is adapted to use both stereo vision, and
> perspective for determining distance.

  Chuck, you hit the nail on the head.

  My sister, 11 months younger than I am, she was born in December 1956,
had and still has a strange path with her vision. When she was 4,
the eye surgeons "corrected" her turned in eye, what we called a squint.
She is still going through life with whatever this is. When she was 32,
she had a baby son. Later, when my nephew was 12, he was scared of the
optical machine that the doctor was proposing to use for testing his
eyes. She volunteered and looked into it herself.
  What she told the doctor was astonishing.
She had no 3D vision in the sense of what most people think it is.
For over 50 years, her brain has been constructing her 3D world, as she
walks, as she looks around, and as she drives her car. Her 3D vision
is based on parallax of movement. Is that inferior, as good as, or
better than two eyes that form the 3D norm? Is your color green the
same as mine?

  Soldering SMD parts, I use my OptiVISOR x10,
a bit close but I can hold my breath.

Ian, G4ICV,AB2GR