[time-nuts] GPSDO - probably a stupid question.

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Wed Aug 17 12:28:35 EDT 2016

This would only likely be done for a GPS timing receiver, and even then likely only with something like a TCXO.

An ordinary GPS receiver can achieve positional results within modern spec without trimming its internal oscillator, and timing receivers solve the quantization problem by reporting the error rather than eliminating it.

Even if a GPS module had one, it wouldn’t get any better results with a more accurate oscillator, so the manufacturers don’t bother.