[time-nuts] Subject: Re: Working with SMT parts (Bob Albert)

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 13:36:47 EDT 2016

Ah Steve, that's good info!  Now where does one buy expired solder paste?  And what's the proper name for it - solder paste searches mostly come up with just flux.

Bob

    On Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:25 AM, Steve Wiseman <sjwiseman at gmail.com> wrote:

 On 18 August 2016 at 07:07, Bob Albert via time-nuts <time-nuts at febo.com> wrote:
> I didn't use the liquid solder because I didn't have any and it doesn't keep very long.

That's not really the case. It may change consistency so that it
behaves a little differently and fouls up automated stencilling
machines (which are the most finicky devices on the planet), but with
a human in the loop, you can expect  most of a decade unless you let
it dry out or do something daft.
I'm still happily using stuff with a 2007 expiry code, in (big)
plastic syringes. Still behaves fine. (and the benefit of the
stirred-in flux and excellent wetting does make paste a joy to use
compared to even good solder wire).
'Expired' solder paste can be a bargain.

Steve