[time-nuts] RPi/ beagle bone-like computer without video

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 02:17:29 EST 2016

Yes, that was exactly my point, There are two kinds of ARM, the A and the
M.   "A" is the kind used in you smart phone and the Raspberry Pi and BBB
and these suck up a few watts of power.  The M type is made for low power
and could run off a few AA batteries and the battery shelf life would
expire before the battery was used up.   A simple data logger could keep
the CPU in sleep mode most of the time and then it uses literally a few
micro amps.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 16:57:10 -0800
> jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Power consumption - it's going to be battery powered
> > I've been looking through the literature, and you can power down some of
> > the chips on most of these things.
>
> If power consumption is an issue for you, then I would advise against
> going for a Linux board, unless you either find a board that is
> specifically
> designed for that purpose (and has the software support) or you have
> a few months time to iron out the problems in the Linux kernel to
> get the system to go into sleep.
>
> It's far easier to use something line Nuttx or FreeRTOS on an
> Cortex-M3 or arm9 and get that to use little power than it is
> to get an full fledged Linux system to behave.
> (Stay away from Zephyr, it's a trap)
>
>                         Attila Kinali
>
> --
> Malek's Law:
>         Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California