[time-nuts] Best Chance GPS module

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 10:44:30 EST 2016

> Yes, that's what I thought as well, until I bought and tested one and
> found out that - in practice - they need an even /better/ set of GPS
> signals than a simpler position GPS/PPS.

Since that's not my experience (even with poor antenna position) I'm
curious which unit you were using.

Paul,

Venus838LPX-T.   Seems to go into a non-locked state for a proportion of the
time but still emits a PPS signal, which increasingly deviates from true
UTC.  That's using a 25 mm square 28 dB active patch antenna, similar to the
antennas on other similarly located GPS receivers.  This was indoors, on the
top floor of a two-storey building, with just the power fed to it, watching
the LED flash.

Maybe I was unlucky?  I wonder what experience others have?

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk