[time-nuts] RPi/ beagle bone-like computer without video

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 2 11:05:17 EST 2016

@ 5V, right, so 1.75W going full out.  That's a useful number to know.

> power off the display
> /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -o
>
> switch off the ethernet blinkenlights
> llctl f0 l0 d0
>

> Apart from that I read somewhere that the beaglebones have terrible EM
> characteristics. But I can't find my source so take it with a grain of
> salt :-)

  Could be. In this application, it will be in a box, periodically
grinding numbers (ADC samples) supplied to it then storing them, so
EMI/EMC isn't a huge issue.

I must say, there are more of these things available in almost too wide
a variety.. You could spend days going through all the datasheets and
websites - I suspect that they ALL have about the same power consumption
for a given amount of processing horsepower - same feature size on the
die, after all - so it's more about peripherals and ease of use

I started looking at RPi and BBB because there are a LOT of them out
there, they're cheap, so there's lots of practical experience (not
always useful -  one needs to spend days going through blogs, forums,
websites)

And, it's more likely that idiosyncracies in the distros have been
identified and it's more likely that the software will run on them after
its built.