[time-nuts] Switching regulator replacement for 7805

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Dec 4 13:50:21 EST 2016

I found a cute little switching regulator that's a drop-in replacement
for an LM7805: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261243604047

I got a couple to play with, mainly to see how bad the noise would be.
Here are spectrum analyzer and PN shots comparing a cheap surplus OCXO
when driven by a regular 7805 and by the switching replacement.

The switching frequency is supposed to be 2 MHz but you can see that
it's more like 2.4 MHz.  Whether this performance is sufficient for any
application is up to you.  It sure runs a lot cooler than a 7805, though!

John