[time-nuts] Lady Heather for homebrew GPSDO

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Dec 17 15:42:04 EST 2016

Hi

There are a pretty small number of things that a GPSDO worries about that are
not in the standard NMEA data structures:

1) DAC
2) Temperature
3) Lock state
4) Time error
5) Maybe a “quality of lock” metric

A lot of GPSDO’s put out more than that in their status messages. There is a
lot of repetition between NMEA messages and that carries over to the custom
stuff.

More or less anything that starts with $P is considered a specialized / custom
message. You could easily have a $PTNT (for TimeNuts of course not for blowing
things up) message or set of messages. If you added a “version” field to the list above, and
a “number of fields to follow”, you probably would have a useful string to use.

$PTNT,1,5,32768,27.232,1.1.3,+22.868, -13.45,100 would be version 1, 5 fields, DAC 32768 out
of who knows how many (hmm…), State 1.1.3 (out of how many), Temp 22.868 C, time error -13.45 ns, lock
quality 100%.

You could take care of the dac issue by going to a float with a defied range of 0 to 1. State
is a bit more difficult. It depends a lot on how things are implemented. We probably would need
it a bit better defined or put it in another message.

Bob